- A deep covered dish from which soup is served.More example sentences
- Spoon some shellfish meat and vegetables into six small soup tureens and cover with some of the bisque.
- Maybe we should come back for the Sunday lunch of two meats served with a tureen of fresh seasonable vegetables, roast potatoes and Yorkshire pudding for just £4.95.
- All our dishes came with tureens of fresh red cabbage, new potatoes, sauté potatoes, carrots and broccoli.
mid 18th century: alteration of earlier terrine, from French terrine (see terrine), feminine of Old French terrin 'earthen', based on Latin terra 'earth'.
More definitions of tureenDefinition of tureen in:
- The British & World English dictionary