(also turf battle)
- An acrimonious dispute between rival groups over territory or a particular sphere of influence.More example sentences
- His good friend C Jay was gunned down here last July in a turf war between rival gangs after walking his girlfriend home late one night.
- It's a ridiculous caper about the ongoing turf war between rival gangs of housewives who are out for blood, as long as the carpets have been Scotch-Guarded.
- Detectives believe the four were the victims of a deadly turf war between two rival gangs who opened fire at the back of the salon.
1970s: from the notion of a war over turf in the informal sense 'area regarded as personal territory' (originally the area controlled by, for example, a street gang or criminal).
More definitions of turf warDefinition of turf war in:
- The British & World English dictionary