noun (plural same or Turkmens)
1A member of a group of Turkic peoples inhabiting the region east of the Caspian Sea and south of the Aral Sea, now comprising Turkmenistan and parts of Iran and Afghanistan.
- He cited the rights of the Kurds, Turkmens and women.
- That plan is bitterly opposed by Turkmens.
- The Turkmens are perhaps closest to the modern Turks of today.
Relating to the Turkmens, their language, or the region they inhabit.
- The Turkmen language used in Turkmenistan borrows many words from Russian.
- The demonstration coincided with a general strike by the city's approximately 300,000 Turkmen residents.
- When a 670-lb meteorite landed in Turkmenistan in 1999, Turkmen scientists named it after Turkmenbashi.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Turkmen in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.