1A rejection or refusal.
- There have been no turndowns, to my knowledge, by anybody.
- That turndown has been now upheld by the Supreme Court.
- It was not exactly a turndown, but they wanted to refer me to a couple of other programs that I was not willing to go into.
2A decline in something; a downturn.
- It is believed the value of the airline has fallen following a spate of industrial unrest, the foot-and-mouth crisis and a turndown in the US economy.
- America in recession would alter the global economic picture and risk a worldwide turndown.
- As it turns out the economy was only in a minor turndown.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of turndown in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.