Definition of turnover in English:
1The amount of money taken by a business in a particular period: a turnover approaching $4 million
More example sentences
- Since then the company has grown into a €50 million turnover retail business with outlets in 18 locations around Ireland.
- In businesses with high turnover and low profit margins, a miscalculation of selling prices can have a big effect on a firm's annual profits.
- Afzal set up, and subsequently sold, a £1m premium turnover insurance business.
2The rate at which employees leave a workforce and are replaced.
- One former employee said that the company had expanded way ahead of its requirements and had a high staff turnover because of employee dissatisfaction.
- Although there are no official statistics, the turnover rate of staff in low-skilled jobs in the Civil Service is believed to be quite high.
- Candidates who accept the position should have a lower turnover rate than similar employees sourced using alternative sources.
change, rate of replacement, movement
2.1The rate at which goods are sold and replaced in a store.
- They are packed in ice and the brisk turnover means they sell freshly and deliciously.
- The inventory turnover ratio measures how quickly inventory is sold and replaced each year.
- Sometimes shops cut prices in the interest of increased turnover.
3A small pie made by folding a piece of pastry over on itself to enclose a sweet filling: an apple turnover
More example sentences
- People have a wide choice of other pastries, including chouquettes, apple turnovers, chocolate croissants and curry chicken puffs.
- Sometimes the dessert tray even yields a true rarity - apple pie worth eating, here folded into honest turnover form.
- Unfold refrigerated piecrusts to make pot pies, Jamaican patties, empanadas and apple turnovers.
4North American (In a game) a loss of possession of the ball to the opposing team.
- The team has committed 10 turnovers in the two games but won somehow.
- They make up for that by attacking the ball and forcing 19.8 turnovers per game.
- After a slow start, the team has found a successful formula and has stuck to its strengths - running the ball, avoiding turnovers and playing great defense.