Definition of turnstone in English:
A small, short-billed wading bird of the sandpiper family that turns over stones to feed on small animals beneath them.
- Genus Arenaria, family Scolopacidae: two species, in particular the ruddy turnstone (A. interpres), breeding in northern Eurasia and northern Canada
- Knots and turnstones are both medium-sized waders that inhabit intertidal coastal areas outside the breeding season.
- Active foragers, turnstones are best known for their habit of turning over objects and eating the food underneath.
- Knots and turnstones arrive at Alert in late May through early June, when the weather is cold and unpredictable and food resources scarce.
Definition of turnstone in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.