noun (plural same or Tuscaroras)
1An American Indian people forming part of the Six Nations, originally inhabiting the Carolinas and later New York.
- The Tuscaroras were fleeing north from war in the Carolinas in 1722.
- During this period, the Tuscaroras were admitted as a sixth constituent nation.
- Following the Revolutionary War, the Tuscaroras acquired land for their own reservation near the present day Lewiston, New York.
2The Iroquoian language of the Tuscarora.
- The Cherokee language belongs to the Iroquoian family of languages and is therefore related to Mohawk, Seneca, Onondaga, Oneida, Cayuga, and Tuscarora, among others.
- Everyone started calling him MGM, which eventually evolved into Gihh-rhaggs, the Tuscarora word for lion.
Relating to the Tuscarora or their language.
- It led the Five Nations to invite Tuscarora refugees to enter the Longhouse.
- Cusick's silence regarding the heterogeneity of his Iroquois audience-and-referent also fills the space between Five Nations and Tuscarora identity.
- Ted Williams is a writer, an artist, and an elder from the Tuscarora tribe in the Iroquois nation in New York State.
Words that rhyme with Tuscaroraabhorrer, adorer, Andorra, angora, aura, aurora, bora, Bora-Bora, borer, Camorra, Cora, corer, Dora, Eleonora, Eudora, explorer, fedora, flora, fora, ignorer, Isadora, Kia-Ora, Laura, Leonora, Maura, menorah, Nora, pakora, Pandora, pourer, roarer, scorer, senhora, señora, signora, snorer, soarer, Sonora, sora, storer, Theodora, Torah, Vlorë
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Tuscarora in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.