Definition of twelve-bar in English:
Denoting or relating to a musical structure based on a sequence lasting twelve bars and typically consisting of three chords, the basic unit of much blues and rock and roll music.
- Well, it's not exactly easy to keep coming up with novel variations on a form of music whose standard twelve-bar chord change pattern goes I-I-I-I IV-IV-I-I-V-IV-I-I, is it?
- Despite the blues influences, he avoids traditional twelve-bar blues progressions.
- Students listen to musical examples and try to write twelve-bar blues lyrics.
nounBack to top
A song or piece of music having a twelve-bar structure.
- If you're going to limit it to twelve-bars and variations thereof you'll have to either arbitrarily exclude a lot that's recognizably blues, or else arbitrarily expand your definition.
Definition of twelve-bar in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.