Definition of twite in English:
A Eurasian moorland finch related to the linnet, having streaky brown plumage and a pink rump.
- Acanthis flavirostris, family Fringillidae
- Once common species such as the snipe, lapwing and curlew have seen declines of up to 73 per cent; birds like the twite, a moorland version of the linnet, are now gone from some parts of the park.
- Marsden Moor supports large numbers of moorland birds such as the golden plover, red grouse, curlew and the diminutive twite.
- The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds says that nests of species such as short-eared owls, merlins, red grouse, meadow pipits, skylarks, twite and curlews will have been wiped out.
Mid 16th century: imitative of its call.
Words that rhyme with twiteaffright, alight, alright, aright, bedight, bight, bite, blight, bright, byte, cite, dight, Dwight, excite, fight, flight, fright, goodnight, height, ignite, impolite, indict, indite, invite, kite, knight, light, lite, might, mite, night, nite, outfight, outright, plight, polite, quite, right, rite, sight, site, skintight, skite, sleight, slight, smite, Snow-white, spite, sprite, tight, tonight, trite, underwrite, unite, uptight, white, wight, wright, write
Definition of twite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan