Definition of two-by-four in English:
1A piece of lumber with a rectangular cross section nominally two inches by four inches.
- They picked out an odd assortment of two-by-fours and pieces of plywood and loaded it into my pickup truck.
- Level the top edge of the pond by using a carpenter's level on a straight two-by-four placed across the pond.
- We made everything out of thick plywood, two-by-fours and four-by-fours.
1.1 [usually as modifier] West Indian & US A small or insignificant thing, typically a building: they lived in a two-by-four shack of one bedroom
More example sentences
- I spend my entire life in this two-by-four shack taking care of those two kids and then you come home from work and what do you do?
Definition of two-by-four in:
- British & World English dictionary