nounBotany & Zoology
- The particular species on which the description of a genus is based and with which the genus name remains associated during any taxonomic revision.More example sentences
- These characters alone are insufficient to characterize Schistometopus; thus, the genus is considered nomen dubium and the term is restricted to the type specimen of the type species.
- The adult dorsal median septum, seen in the new species, is absent in the type species and dorsal muscle fields are more clearly defined.
- However, the ventral valve of Australostrophia mesembria, type species of the genus, is weakly convex, while the dorsal is very gently concave.
More definitions of type speciesDefinition of type species in:
- The British & World English dictionary