Definition of tyrannosaur in English:
A very large bipedal carnivorous dinosaur of the late Cretaceous period, with powerful jaws and small clawlike front legs.
- Family Tyrannosauridae, infraorder Carnosauria, suborder Theropoda: several species, in particular Tyrannosaurus rex
- Because feathers are a unique feature, they are thought to be characteristic of many theropod dinosaurs, including tyrannosaurs.
- Most predatory dinosaurs such as tyrannosaurs and velociraptors have usually been depicted in museums, films and books as covered in a thick hide of dull brown or green skin.
- Today's bullies of the Serengeti plains, lions and spotted hyenas, were paralleled by tyrannosaurs in Jurassic and Cretaceous ecosystems.
Modern Latin, from Greek turannos 'tyrant' + sauros 'lizard', on the pattern of dinosaur.
Definition of tyrannosaur in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.