- A New World perching bird that resembles the Old World flycatchers in behavior, typically with brightly colored plumage.
More example sentences
- Family Tyrannidae: many genera and numerous species
- Phoebes belong to the tyrant flycatcher family and are adapted for capturing insects on the wing.
- Contrary to the results of the DNA-DNA hybridization study, our data support the monophyly of the entire tyrant flycatcher assemblage and places the Glades Pipromorphinae and Tyranninae as sister groups.
- The two Glades Pipromorphinae and Tyranninae are also strongly supported in this analysis and appear as sister groups, thus supporting the monophyly of the tyrant flycatcher assemblage.
mid 18th century: so named because of its aggressive behavior toward other birds approaching its nest.
More definitions of tyrant flycatcherDefinition of tyrant flycatcher in:
- The British & World English dictionary