Definition of U-turn in English:
1The turning of a vehicle in a U-shaped course so as to face in the opposite direction.
- He turned the flashers on just before he made a U-turn, heading back in the direction he'd come.
- I made a U-turn on the taxiway and headed back to the line to get it checked.
- Faith slammed on the brakes, and made a U-turn in the middle of the empty street.
1.1A change of plan, especially a reversal of political policy: another U-turn by the government
More example sentences
- Public anger has forced members of the powerful council cabinet to do a U-turn over plans to slash the budgets of the town's community centres.
- The public inquiry could be called off, however, if councillors accept the officers' advice and do a U-turn on their previous decision.
- It was good to see the Government do a U-turn on that matter.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.