Definition of ultraconservative in English:
Extremely conservative in politics or in the observance of religion: an effort by an ultraconservative faction to limit believers' freedom to follow their consciences
More example sentences
- I've lived for more than thirty years in the American Bible Belt, where the congressional delegation is ultraconservative in religion and politics, even by the standards of the Republican party and the Baptist church.
- All the Orthodox member churches are critical of the WCC, but some are milder in their criticisms than the Russian church, which has within it an ultraconservative faction.
- Ahmanson is also a major sponsor of ultraconservative politicians, including California state legislator and 2003 gubernatorial candidate Tom McClintock.
nounBack to top
A person who is extremely conservative in politics or religion: the literature of the well-organized ultraconservatives is more plentiful
More example sentences
- For ultraconservatives, his attacks on Christianity were less important than the anti-modern nature of his thinking: narrative of decay, contempt for modern institution, aristocratic nostalgia, etc.
- While candidates whom CIBPAC's funders have sponsored still comprise a sixth of the current legislature, the Republicans twice lost the governorship by fielding ultraconservatives against Democrat Governor Gray Davis.
- Dole's top aide, Sheila Burke, quickly finds herself the target of abuse from ultraconservatives because of Dole's seeming moderate stance.
- Example sentences
- This movement presents itself as radical - indeed as the most radical thing going - but it is really an insidious form of paralyzing liberalism which translates into ultraconservatism in action.
- I have been told more than once, usually by bemused colleagues in Chinese art, that Japanese art history is a bastion of ultraconservatism.
- It revealed negative views of the elderly such as sexual dysfunction and ultraconservatism.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan