plural noun[treated as singular]
1The science and application of ultrasonic waves.
- Thompson's research covers a wide range of NDE issues and methods, including ultrasonics, electromagnetics, material property measurements and flaw characterization.
- Its new technology system, known as Puma, combines a variety of condition monitoring and analysis systems, from radiography to ultrasonics, to gather empirical data and statistical information on the performance of such equipment.
- We're working with ultrasonics, which is like an echo locating bat.
1.1 [treated as singular or plural] Ultrasonic waves; ultrasound.
- The use of ultrasonics in medicine is also of growing importance.
- Wilkins initially studied the genetic effects of ultrasonics, but soon developed new types of microscopes and cameras with Ray Gosling, and achieved new images of the A form of the DNA molecule.
- She managed to shake off the dust, probably aided by ultrasonics or some kind of electrostatic charge, and soon was none the worse for her experience.
Definition of ultrasonics in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.