- 1A device consisting of a circular canopy of cloth on a folding metal frame supported by a central rod, used as protection against rain or sometimes sun.More example sentences
- Yet as I pack a bag to hold water and umbrellas and tissue paper, I'm quite aware that the three hours will not feel like that.
- If your container leaks onto the table too much when you water it, remove the umbrella and move the container to the patio floor.
- She decided to open the umbrella once Soo Lin turned to face her, so the umbrella would expand in her face.
- 2A protecting force or influence: the American nuclear umbrella over the WestMore example sentences
- At the time, certain police cadres inside the Fuzhou City government provided a protective umbrella for those evil forces who were not brought to justice for a long time.
- That is why they have forces in South Korea and have provided a defence umbrella for Japan so it would not re-arm.
- But that doesn't mean that they're all tied together and under the umbrella of one huge force.
- 2.1A screen of fighter aircraft or antiaircraft artillery.More example sentences
- Only when they saw the umbrella of anti-aircraft blossoms did they realize the truth.
- Streaming contrails, the Thunderbolts lazily S-turned over the bomber formation - providing an umbrella for the lumbering Boeings.
- After the war ended, they moved the umbrella to the edge of the Canal where it would be more effective against the IAF.
- 3 [usually as modifier] A thing that includes or contains many different elements or parts: an umbrella organizationMore example sentences
- I now consider these women's engagement in the wider context of the national Catholic umbrella organization, the mfSVM.
- Autism is an umbrella term covering a wide variety of disorders that cause a huge range of different symptoms in different people.
- These are umbrella terms, which cover several specific conditions.
- 4 Zoology The gelatinous disk of a jellyfish, which it contracts and expands to move through the water.More example sentences
- The mouth is usually on the concave side, and the tentacles originate on the rim of the umbrella.
- The only opening in a jellyfish is the mouth which everyone sees when they look at the umbrella of the jellyfish.
- Right under that umbrella is the mouth.
- More example sentences
- The umbrellaed tables in the cafe-lounge are separated from the dining room by sheer curtains which billow like giant sails on a calm sea.
- The downtown restaurant with its umbrellaed tables reminded Marianna of a teacup ride stuck in time.
- This was also at the time when the twenty or so publishing houses were being umbrellaed by big business.
- More example sentences
- Salix caprea ‘Kilmarnock’ is a small deciduous tree (reaching about 6ft tall with a similar spread) with an umbrella-like crown of weeping, yellow-brown branches that emerge from the top of a bare trunk.
- Just as the crooked mass of shiny-leafed buttonbush, and even the swamp dwelling mayapple - its umbrella-like leaves shading sweet yellow fruit - need fire's fertilizing hand, so too does the wildlife.
- Since then the plant has slowly grown to its full height of 2. 23m and the single umbrella-like petal finally unfurled early yesterday morning.
early 17th century: from Italian ombrella, diminutive of ombra 'shade', from Latin umbra (see umbra).