Definition of umbrella pine in English:
1 another term for stone pine.
- Carter is a great believer in the Italian cypress (Cupressus sempervirens stricta), found all over Tuscany, and the umbrella pine, its constant companion.
- The vegetation, especially the characteristic umbrella pine set before the beautiful bay, indelibly marks the Mediterranean location.
- A beautiful umbrella pine is silhouetted against a yellow sky, and the bay indicates human presence with several jetties.
2A tall Japanese evergreen conifer related to the redwoods, with leaves growing in umbrellalike whorls.
- Sciadopitys verticillata, family Taxodiaceae
- By the later first century AD, many farmsteads were cultivating coriander and opium poppies, and trees such as cherry, plum, and perhaps umbrella pine were grown.
- The town has two great woods of umbrella pines which give welcome shade at midday.
- Japanese umbrella pine is a living relic predating the age of the dinosaurs.
Definition of umbrella pine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan