Entry from British & World English dictionary
Not confirmed or ascertained; unknown.
- There is no basis for asserting that Allianz had any right to any ascertained or unascertained part of the sponsorship money.
- In view of the extreme rarity of three deaths without explanation occurring in the same family I have given the cause of death as unascertained pending further investigations.
- We used to call this sudden infant death syndrome, but some coroners are turning away from that and saying the cause of death is unascertained because that is a more honest reflection of the situation.
- Example sentences
- The cause I gave was unascertainable due to decomposition.
- The results of a post-mortem examination revealed the cause of death was unascertainable and a file has now been passed to the coroner.
- I mean, this is a legislative framework that refers everybody through an unascertainable process where we're not certain whether there'll be any uniformity about it.
Words that rhyme with unascertainedingrained, self-contained, self-restrained, self-sustained, unconstrained, undertrained, undrained, unexplained, unfeigned, unrestrained, unstained, unstrained, unsustained, untrained
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: un|ascer¦tained
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.