1Not summoned or invited.
- Jade, her eyes clouded by sudden and uncalled memories, said, ‘I used to have a sister two years younger than me.’
- Mr. Hutchings did not himself give evidence, and so I think that I should disregard the evidence of Mr. Hendy where it depended upon the uncalled evidence of Mr. Hutchings.
- The JAP project inserted itself, uncalled, into the turbulent confluence between natural law and state regulation, and signaled its allegiance to the former.
1.1 (uncalled for) (Especially of a person’s behavior) undesirable and unnecessary: uncalled-for remarks
More example sentences
- If true such behaviour was uncalled for but it neither excused Zidane's retaliation nor is likely to have surprised Everton fans.
- Rudeness is uncalled for and very hard to deal with from people that you don't even know.
- Heaping blame on each other between the police and the Lusaka City Council over the issue of the Lusaka street vendors is uncalled for and totally unnecessary.
gratuitous, unnecessary, needless, inessential;
undeserved, unmerited, unwarranted, unjustified, unreasonable, unfair, inappropriate, inapt, pointless;
unasked, unsolicited, unrequested, unprompted, unprovoked, unwelcome
Words that rhyme with uncalledbald, scald, so-called, unwalled
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.