Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of uncanonical in English:
1Not conforming to or ordered by canon law.
- That the doctrine of the filioque and its uncanonical insertion in the Latin creed present serious obstacles to the reconciliation of churches has long been clear.
- Only in 1832 a Synodal ukaz legitimized the uncanonical under-age tonsure.
- His appointment to Canterbury after the Norman Robert of Jumièges had been forced into exile was also deemed uncanonical by the papacy.
2Not belonging to a literary or other canon.
- The implication of my original findings that uncanonical poets can surpass cultural marginalization is that the book will target both a traditional and modern readership.
- The selection criteria for literary material aims to be uncanonical, in representing the literature of a whole period rather than concentrating on major writers.
- 1uncanonically adverb
- Example sentences
- Proclus had been installed as bishop in the place of a bishop uncanonically thrust out to make room for him.
- The Ukrainian Church has seceded from the Patriarchate of Moscow where it was placed uncanonically and illegally.
- The same may be said of priests and deacons who uncanonically leave the jurisdiction of their bishop to whom they are bound by their priestly oath of allegiance.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.