- 1Dirty: the company was fined for operating in unclean premisesMore example sentences
- It's because of you that we are pegged as being unclean, dirty or unhealthy.
- As they land on Earth, the visitors are greeted by unclean premises and atmospheric pollution.
- If somebody is lying in a hospital, they are dying because of dirty water and unclean water, and we've got to solve the problem of clean water; otherwise, people are going to die.
- 1.1Morally wrong: unclean thoughtsMore example sentences
- Michael McDowell objects, as it will interfere with his plan to intern the hard-left and anyone morally unclean.
- The outraged cleric fumed: ‘All that goes for an unclean and unhealthy life.’
- I was not allowing him to be on for the last 20 minutes, letting unclean mouths shout filthy chants at him.
- 1.2(Of food) regarded in a particular religion as impure and unfit to be eaten: pork is an unclean meat for MuslimsMore example sentences
- Peter understands the church's squeamishness about eating unclean foods and staying in a nonkosher home; Peter had gulped a little himself.
- Along with their involved list of unclean foods they were forbidden to eat, some Jews also had elaborate rituals of hand washing before meals.
- We need not worry about such things as ceremonial washings and clean and unclean foods.
- 1.3(In biblical use) ritually impure; (of a spirit) evil.More example sentences
impure; forbidden, taboo
- These evil spirits made people ritually unclean and the unclean could not share in corporate worship.
- In the New Testament, it is striking how those with an unclean spirit were able to recognise our Lord.
- In Mark 1: 23-24 the Bible says the man had an unclean spirit, as if in the singular.
- More example sentences
- The concern was about impurity, pollution, uncleanness.
- They destroy the altars, after having defiled them with their uncleanness.
- When it is symbolic, the insects often represent filth and uncleanness.