Definition of uncommunicative in English:
1(Of a person) unwilling to talk or impart information.
- Tolerance of long waiting times, lack of information, uncommunicative staff, and failures to seek patients' views and take account of their preferences is wearing thin.
- And if Namibians themselves are irritated, then imagine the impressions of the visitor or tourist who almost always meets an unfriendly and uncommunicative face?
- Duncan, a precocious, affectionate child, had failed to live up to his academic potential, and had become withdrawn and uncommunicative.
1.1(Of something such as writing or art) not conveying much or any meaning or sense.
- Further, an emphasis on socially engaged work makes it all too easy to excuse visual tedium, poor curatorial focus, or uncommunicative art as markers of an exhibition's authenticity.
- In an interview with the New York Times, Richter says he chose this painting for dissection precisely because it was ‘close to being uncommunicative.’
- But there is something unfulfilled about this intermittently sparkly but ultimately uncommunicative work.
- Example sentences
- His work with Gray opened up the possibility of playing the self-destructive and chaotic, without ever allowing them to slip into something uncommunicatively self-pitying.
- Neither of us said anything, and Brixton was uncommunicatively engaged in reading a railroad report.
- However Hasselhoff is allowed to grunt uncommunicatively at them via a telephone as often as he likes.
- Example sentences
- The majority of the patients experienced a significant improvement in the areas of hostility, uncommunicativeness, uncooperativeness, and repetitive behavior.
- It seems unlikely that overnight my son has developed the male propensity for uncommunicativeness.
- Another character in the film, He Zhiuru, takes uncommunicativeness to the ultimate level; he has been mute since age five.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan