Definition of unconformable in English:
(Of rock strata in contact) marking a discontinuity in the geological record, and typically not having the same direction of stratification.
- In this transect, the contact between the Carboniferous strata and the volcanic sequence appears to be an unconformable sedimentary contact.
- Along much of its exposed length, the unconformable contact was intensely sheared during subsequent ductile deformation.
- At this locality, the upper layers of the Mishan Formation are truncated below the unconformable contact at the base of the overlying Agha Jari Formation.
- Example sentences
- The anticline is uncomformably overlain by thick Plio-Pleistocene prograding slope sediments.
- Synrift units are typically slightly folded, and are uncomformably overlain by undeformed postrift sediments.
- This unit is a light brown to yellowish-red sand that lies uncomformably over Unit I.
Definition of unconformable in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan