(Of rock strata in contact) marking a discontinuity in the geological record, and typically not having the same direction of stratification.
- In this transect, the contact between the Carboniferous strata and the volcanic sequence appears to be an unconformable sedimentary contact.
- Along much of its exposed length, the unconformable contact was intensely sheared during subsequent ductile deformation.
- At this locality, the upper layers of the Mishan Formation are truncated below the unconformable contact at the base of the overlying Agha Jari Formation.
- Example sentences
- The anticline is uncomformably overlain by thick Plio-Pleistocene prograding slope sediments.
- Synrift units are typically slightly folded, and are uncomformably overlain by undeformed postrift sediments.
- This unit is a light brown to yellowish-red sand that lies uncomformably over Unit I.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of unconformable in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.