Definition of underdog in English:
1A competitor thought to have little chance of winning a fight or contest.
- In his lifetime, he became a symbol of courage to a deprived country, the underdog in all his fights and still coming out on top.
- We are all on the same side, underdogs fighting against social and environmental oppression.
- The underdogs in any fight usually prepare body and mind meticulously before stepping into the ring.
1.1A person who has little status in society.
- Despite the instant attention they got in the UK, they enjoyed their underdog status in the US.
- Moore didn't allow her political underdog status to stop her from throwing her hat into the campaign ring.
- Maybe it's because he's an underdog living in an well-adjusted, mentally balanced society.
Late 19th century: with reference to the beaten dog in a dogfight.
Words that rhyme with underdogpettifog • pedagogue
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.