- Sketched lines made by a painter as a preliminary guide, and subsequently covered with layers of paint.More example sentences
- The elements are painted over a ground of thinly whitewashed underdrawing.
- The style and extent of the resulting underdrawing can vary enormously, from a few sketchy lines to elaborate hatched drawings, complete in every detail.
- In removing the uppermost layer of painted plaster from the cut-out chunk of wall, conservators discovered an underlying sinopia or underdrawing.
More definitions of underdrawingDefinition of underdrawing in:
- The British & World English dictionary