Definition of underline in English:
Pronunciation: /ˌəndərˈlīn/[with object]
1Draw a line under (a word or phrase) to give emphasis or indicate special type.
- Copy the articles or excerpts by hand underlining those words and phrases that you think are significant in the creation of mood and/or atmosphere.
- Please indicate italics by underlining and indicate boldface by drawing a wavy line beneath the affected characters.
- For some that meant moving from writing each idea on a separate line to using headers and underlining vocabulary words.
1.1Emphasize (something): the improvement in retail sales was underlined by these figures
More example sentences
- Nevertheless, the sale seemed to underline their minor status.
- The television figures underline the sustained popularity of the annual broadcasts from the festival and this year's programme attracted over 56 per cent of the Irish audience at its peak.
- These figures underline the fact that we are in the great boom in advertising for years, much greater than anything seen in 1999-2000.
Pronunciation: /ˈəndərlīn/Back to top
1A line drawn under a word or phrase, especially for emphasis.
- That last sentence has a green underline on my word processor, and when I right click to see what grammatical snafu I've made, it says ‘Wordiness.’
- Take this familiar experience: spell a word wrongly in your word processor and you see a wavy red underline appear under the word.
- I don't think the problem is the color, the problem is the highlighting as opposed to an underline.
Words that rhyme with underlinealign, assign, benign, brine, chine, cline, combine, condign, confine, consign, dine, divine, dyne, enshrine, entwine, fine, frontline, hardline, interline, intertwine, kine, Klein, line, Main, malign, mine, moline, nine, on-line, opine, outshine, pine, Rhein, Rhine, shine, shrine, sign, sine, spine, spline, stein, Strine, swine, syne, thine, tine, trine, twine, Tyne, undermine, vine, whine, wine • alkaline • opaline
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan