Definition of underscore in English:
1.1(On a computer or typewriter keyboard) a short horizontal line (_) on the baseline.
- The import filter offered to replace the hyphen with an underscore character, and other than the name change, the file read perfectly.
- For example, maybe you really hate typing underscore characters, so you don't use them when naming database tables or named constants.
- Variable names always start with a dollar sign and then have the variable name, which can have letters, numbers, or underscores but can't start with a number.
Pronunciation: /ˈəndərˌskôr , ˌəndərˈskôr/[with object] Back to top
1.1Emphasize: the company underscored the progress made with fuel cells
More example sentences
- That is certainly true, although it underscores the somewhat narrow focus and reach of his analysis.
- Your comment underscores for me why I think a movie using special effects would be an obscenity.
- The decision underscores once again, however, that for the Supreme Court, the rights of young people are shredded when they walk through the schoolhouse gates.
Definition of underscore in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan