Definition of understated in English:
Presented or expressed in a subtle and effective way: understated elegance
More example sentences
- The screen is filled with earthy understated hues and subtle pastels.
- Relying on natural light and without gimmicks or props, his work was often understated and subtle but easily accessible.
- The atmosphere throughout is one of understated elegance and the highest standards of comfort and luxury.
- Example sentences
- Somewhere, stylistically, between country rock and folk roots, this Minneapolis-based songwriter has an original, weathered and understatedly expressive voice for a 23-year-old.
- ‘Yes, this is a testing time,’ he understatedly said.
- Now, understatedly, the situation is much different.
Definition of understated in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan