Definition of underworld in English:
1The world of criminals or of organized crime.
- It is suggested that an underworld crime figure planned to grab the mother and her child and to demand a six figure sum.
- Detectives hunting a gunman who executed a father-of-three in a gangland murder have appealed to the criminal underworld to help nail the killer.
- Too late they discover that he is an underworld crime lord, and that crossing him results in an inevitable slow and painful death.
2The mythical abode of the dead, imagined as being under the earth.
- To gain entrance to this forbidden domain she threatened to break down the gates of the underworld, free the dead and devour the living.
- She also guides Persephone to the underworld and back twice a year and thus has a part to play in the seasons.
- During the last six millennia, the hero's journey to the underworld of the dead has been a main part of epic storylines.
Words that rhyme with underworlddreamworld
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan