1(Of an action or decision) performed by or affecting only one person, group, or country involved in a particular situation, without the agreement of another or the others: unilateral nuclear disarmament
More example sentences
- Workers on both the admin and examining side of the department were angry about this unilateral decision without consultation.
- Well, that's a unilateral decision as to how the Geneva Conventions are going to be interpreted.
- Divorce can be by mutual consent or at the initiative of the wife and by the unilateral decision of the husband.
independent, autonomous, solitary, solo, go-it-alone, single-handed, self-determined, maverick, isolationist
2Relating to, occurring on, or affecting only one side of an organ or structure, or of the body.
- This item is aimed at examining the patient for evidence of a unilateral cerebellar lesion.
- Temporal bone fractures can cause unilateral sensorineural and conductive hearing loss.
- Medical opinion on the effects of unilateral cryptorchidism has changed.
Words that rhyme with unilateralbilateral, collateral, equilateral, lateral, multilateral, quadrilateral, trilateral
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.