Definition of unilateralism in English:
1The process of acting, reaching a decision, or espousing a principle unilaterally.
- The Republican Party has tended strongly to espouse unilateralism in recent years, notably in military and regional policy issue areas.
- He thinks of Europe as being a brake on the ideology of economic unilateralism which is capitalist, conservative and reactionary.
- Europe has the chance of being a barrier against the pensée unique of economic unilateralism: capitalist, conservative, reactionary.
unilateralist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- It expresses the desire of a section of the Spanish elite to return to Spain's traditional axis in foreign policy as a counterweight to the unilateralist ambitions of US imperialism.
- Most American allies recognize that an isolated, unilateralist superpower makes for a dysfunctional international system.
- Far from entirely rejecting democracy promotion, some conservative unilateralists also argue that the fundamental purpose of US foreign policy is the projection of democratic values.
Definition of unilateralism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia