Definition of unilingual in English:
Conducted in, concerned with, or speaking only one language.
- Rather it exists as a continuum, from long-established unilingual anglophones broadly similar to anglophones in Ontario through bilinguals of various kinds to francophones using English as a second language.
- It would also help unilingual francophones to function as unilinguals outside of Quebec, in so far as official bilingualism insures provision of government services in French.
- Thus, twenty-five out of thirty-six of the European countries are officially unilingual.
- Example sentences
- He is unilingually English, but his gifts of compromise and persuasion (according to him) will at least give his ideas some prominence.
- Quebec is officially French and all other provinces and territories in Canada are unilingually English.
- The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Definition of unilingual in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan