Definition of unionist in English:
1A member of a labor union.
- Firstly, as a unionist and a member of a progressive union, I fully support redeployment, but you need to consider the time factor when you deal with it.
- Wives of picket line unionists were recipients of anonymous correspondence apparently aimed at driving a wedge between them and their husbands, with a view to ending the dispute in the company's favour.
- As usual, many protesters against economic globalisation in its present form will be unionists, and ALP members.
2 (Unionist) A person who opposed secession during the Civil War.
- With secession, Philadelphia's unionists believed that the very foundation of their prosperity as a class had been placed in jeopardy.
- Virginia unionists controlled the state secession convention from its opening in February into the early days of April.
- His theories of nullification and state interposition offered a third path between unconditional unionists and secessionists.
2.1A person in Northern Ireland, especially a member of a political party, supporting or advocating union with Great Britain.
- Many Unionists are members of the anti-Catholic Orange Order.
- Assembly members have to declare themselves Unionists or Republicans.
- In the Whitewell area an independent candidate came second to Paisley's Democratic Unionists in recent council elections.
- Example sentences
- Beneath the heated debate lay different approaches to unionism, politics, and the future course of labour.
- Now anyone who knows the history of Northern Ireland and of unionism must appreciate the great significance of this.
- In his absence, where will the voice of Ulster unionism emanate from?
- Example sentences
- Those who seek to promote the Eureka Stockade as a profoundly important revolution in Australian history in a unionistic or Marxian sense are not doing any favors for the flag they favour.
- He allows a man who already had apologized for unionistic actions before to go and commit the same sin again.
- That is, unless the basic freedoms of the unionistic order were abolished - which was politically impossible.
Words that rhyme with unionistZionist • urbanist
Definition of unionist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.