1(Of an area or feature) not represented on a geographical map.
- The Pioneers set out to explore the unmapped area, ‘drawing ‘the outlines of walls and other objects through their laser rangefinders.’
- Interest in the colonies was also sustained by a new generation of restless, independent-minded explorers who set off to chart the unmapped areas beyond the frontiers of the French Empire.
- Now ratified by most of the nations of the world, it is the basic international law on the mapped and unmapped areas beyond our planet.
1.1Unexplored: unmapped corners of Africa
More example sentences
- Andrews operated in a crease period, after the European colonialists had cracked open unmapped areas but before the adoption of Western ways allowed the locals to exploit their own territory.
- There's also a playfulness that takes it out of the city into more unmapped terrain.
- And from them I learned that if in a month nothing had changed, the mayor would be chased down the river and into the unmapped country beyond.
1.2 Biology (Of a gene or chromosome) not yet mapped.
- Unlinked or unmapped genes are indicated off of the chromosomes and with dashed borders.
- Although these two genes are good candidates for the Y gene, other unmapped alleles or linked regulatory elements may also be Y.
- The fourth copy, containing the Topi insertion, was located in an unmapped area of the genome.
Words that rhyme with unmappedadapt, apt, enrapt, rapt, untapped
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of unmapped in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.