- 1Contrary to the ordinary course of nature; abnormal: death by unnatural causesMore example sentences
- Bringing a tree into a house and covering it with trinkets is, of course, an unnatural act.
- A glance at any science text tells us that monogamy is utterly unnatural, unless of course you're a swan.
- It was, of course, a completely unnatural oddity of physics, but the Weak Hole in particular was worse than your average black hole.
- 1.1Not existing in nature; artificial: the artificial turf looks an unnatural greenMore example sentences
- The setup is unnatural and artificial, but the emotion within the situation is very real - like a beam of light in a house of mirrors, the emotion is intensified.
- Genuine emotions of family attachment can never be expected to spring in such an artificial, unnatural environment.
- Light shone around her, constant, as constant as daylight, but infinitely harsher; it was unnatural, artificial.
- 1.2Affected or stilted: the formal tone of the programs caused them to sound stilted and unnaturalMore example sentences
- There were long periods with little to no dialogue, and what dialogue there was felt stilted and unnatural (but that may have been the intention).
- One of the criticisms I've heard is that the language is stilted and unnatural.
- Their performances are stilted, unnatural, and weak.
- 1.3Lacking feelings of kindness and sympathy that are considered to be natural: they condemned her as an unnatural womanMore example sentences
- Indeed, if Madonna were a fictional character, one could only retain public sympathy for her by having her ‘pay the price’ for her unnatural behaviour.
- Donnelly complains that Play School is battling ‘to normalise what many parents would consider unnatural behaviour’.
- If wherever she was going was full of such… unnatural feelings… she wasn't sure how she would fare through it.
- More example sentences
- LaBute became unnaturally animated when asked about the gangster genre.
- They can no longer ask a female model to starve herself for one photo shoot so she looks unnaturally thin in a billboard for weeks or months.
- That said, Kevin's stocks are unnaturally high at the Billabong of late.
- More example sentences
- It was more than the sheer unnaturalness of the strange man (It was a man, wasn't it?)
- The trouble is that this call fails: Whatever one's definition of natural, either homosexuality is natural, or it's unnaturalness says nothing at all about its propriety.
- The blue tree is one of the most striking pieces of urban art I've seen: totally unexpected, vibrant, vital, and somehow natural despite its complete unnaturalness.