1Not needed: a fourth Chicago airport is unnecessary
More example sentences
- Exposed skin can freeze in seconds and result in unnecessary cold weather injuries.
- This is a very strange solution, as it seems that the second census was unnecessary.
- The treatment of hypothyroidism is usually simple, and referral to secondary care is unnecessary.
1.1More than is needed; excessive: the police used unnecessary force
More example sentences
- Many have been killed and some have also been tried for excessive use of force and other unnecessary action.
- Yes, I am good with numbers and can recall excessive amounts of unnecessary detail from my past.
- After all, we do not want to waste unnecessary monies just on restricting his movements.
unneeded, nonessential, inessential, not required, uncalled for, useless, unwarranted, unwanted, undesired, dispensable, unimportant, optional, extraneous, gratuitous, expendable, noncore, disposable, redundant, pointless, purposeless
1.2(Of a remark) not appropriate and likely to be offensive or impertinent.
- It was a trivial and unnecessary remark, which added nothing to the diagnosis or management plan.
- I want to say that, on reflection, that question had an unnecessary comment in it.
- That would have seemed an unnecessary comment until you saw what happened at the Cork County Board meeting.
- Of course, among the unnecessaries to him are the use of union labor and producing goods in America, and Scott is unabashed about pointing in the direction of China or other places for abysmally low production costs.
- If you saw the movie and loved it, then you will love this album just as much; if you haven't or didn't, you will probably be left feeling impressed but a little confused at the inclusion of such unnecessaries.
- A brand spanking new computer souped up with all the bright shiny unnecessaries a girl could ever want.
- Example sentences
- Having made a New Year's Eve resolution to smoke more ’, I thought I'd clear the lungs with a howling wail at the unnecessariness of the Ashley and Louise car crash in EMMERDALE.
- Influenced by Diogenes of Sinope, Zeno preached a rational attitude toward sexuality, advocating equality of the sexes, the unnecessariness of clothing, and what today would be called free love.
- I'm just forced to endure rage, endure my pointless existence, the whole idea of unnecessariness.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.