Definition of unoccupied in English:
1(Of ground) not occupied by inhabitants.
- She looked quickly around, but the remote part of the palace grounds was still unoccupied.
- The large magnitude of this peak is a result of displacing the electron-rich sulfur to a new position that is unoccupied in the ground state.
- The five critical habitat units include almost all of the currently occupied land and enough unoccupied historical habitat to support a self-sustaining population.
1.1(Of premises) having fixtures and furniture but no inhabitants or occupants. Compare with vacant.
- Limerick city is set for a major multi million boost with the announcement of a new tax relief scheme for conversion of unoccupied premises to living quarters.
- This is particularly true for the crimes of house breaking when the premises are unoccupied.
- McDonald said all the premises were unoccupied at the time the burglars struck over the past week.
2Not engaged in work or a pursuit; idle.
- And when I'm unoccupied, I can never think of anything to do, or the lists I have of things to do don't appeal.
- There's no force more destructive than a pack of unoccupied children.
- Large numbers of unoccupied children threatened the social fabric, and ‘churches began to acknowledge that they could not provide sufficient education to keep pace with their recognition of the need for it’.
3Not occupied by enemy troops.
- Vichy governed the French colonies and the southern part of France unoccupied by German troops and claimed that it was neutral in the war.
- The Stryker Brigade is especially vulnerable to long lines of communication, unoccupied battlespace, and bypassed enemy forces.
- Any piece of the urban landscape is subject to enemy reoccupation if it is left unoccupied or is not cordoned off by friendly forces.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan