Definition of unpick in English:
1Undo the sewing of (stitches or a garment): I unpicked the seams of his trousers
More example sentences
- Of course, you need to know beforehand that it fits, because you don't want to have to unpick all this stitching to alter it later.
- He smiled as he recalled Chris's first words on returning from his interrupted visit to his family - ‘I'm gone for one day, and the threads of the universe start unpicking behind me.’
- Now, having unpicked and screwed up several times (I'm on the second hand now), I am beginning to realise why I don't knit more often.
1.1Carefully analyze the different elements of, especially in order to find faults.
- Carefully unpicking the myth that has grown up around these games, Dougan illuminates an horrific period in Ukrainian history without succumbing to sensation.
- A detailed analysis of The Prince would be needed in order to unpick the ambivalent feelings Machiavelli had towards Cesare.
- We cannot expect a child to analyse branding promotions or to unpick nutritional messages from advertising.
Definition of unpick in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan