Definition of unsatisfactory in English:
Unacceptable because poor or not good enough: an unsatisfactory situation
More example sentences
- Teaching in a third of lessons was graded unsatisfactory or poor, while learning in two fifths of lessons was below standard.
- Staff leading these lessons were judged unsatisfactory or poor.
- More than half of the teaching was unsatisfactory, aspects of management were weak and attendance was poor.
disappointing, dissatisfying, undesirable, disagreeable, displeasing;
inadequate, unacceptable, poor, bad, substandard, weak, mediocre, no good, not good enough, lacking, wanting, subpar, defective, deficient, insufficient, imperfect, inferior
informal leaving a lot to be desired, no great shakes
- Example sentences
- He said: ‘I will request that the coroner here write a letter to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to inform them that the family consider this matter to be dealt with very unsatisfactorily.’
- ‘On the balance of probability, although somewhat unsatisfactorily overall, I'm led to the conclusion she died from an adverse reaction to the general anaesthetic,’ he said.
- In addition, our website, though unsatisfactorily updated, has proved a valuable link with all the interested people, allowing us to get in touch with them and offering them a playing opportunity.
- Example sentences
- All the varieties and dimensions of pain and unsatisfactoriness we can experience in this life, are not independently arisen, but can with wisdom and clarity be traced back to the roots of ignorance and craving.
- Given the unsatisfactoriness of our situation, we need to do something.
- The difficulty I am pointing to is an unsatisfactoriness involved in accepting an ' externalist ' theory and claiming to understand human knowledge in general in that way.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.