Definition of unseat in English:
1Cause (someone) to fall from a horse or bicycle.
- Hannah Blumenthal, 52, a freelance pony rider, was severely injured when she was unseated from a horse on Friday morning at Belmont Park.
- Bravo, 33, was riding Maid of Sunlight, who was squeezed in tight quarters and unseated him when she fell.
- Jockey Alejandro Marcial was taken to a hospital on Sunday after his horse, Ski Away, broke down, unseating him in the first race at Arlington Park.
1.1Remove from a position of power or authority.
- Opposition youth movements such as Ukraine's Pora and Serbia's Otpor have been instrumental in unseating governments in their respective countries.
- But no one, not even Wahid, is suggesting that the military as an institution is behind any attempt to unseat the government.
- The AL, the main opposition party, has decided to resort to street agitation to unseat the government.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan