- Not uttered, pronounced, or made to sound.More example sentences
- An goes before words that start with the vowels a, e, i, o, and u and also before words that start with an unsounded h, as in ‘hourglass’ and ‘honor.’
- No consonant goes unsounded - except of course those shunned by Cockney patois.
- Words are said to be silent when they are unsounded in the pronunciation, though introduced in spelling and writing.
- Unfathomed.More example sentences
- When they noticed that many shallow earthquakes came from under it, they searched seismograph records for similar earthquake centers in unsounded parts of the oceans.
- No two cartographers, of course, will produce exactly the same set of contours in unsounded portions of the mapped area.
- There have been incidents of grounding where ships have been operating where charts are inadequate and waters unsounded.