1Having an inhospitable or uninviting atmosphere or appearance: Jean crept into her cold and unwelcoming bed
More example sentences
- At first I thought Minnesota was going to be some very remote place, unwelcoming and inhospitable.
- Namibia's barren and unwelcoming coastlines served as a natural deterrent to the ambitions of European explorers.
- Her huge house was lonely and unwelcoming at night.
1.1(Of a person or their manner) not friendly toward someone arriving or approaching.
- He says time and again that it is not wrong to fear a young black man walking towards you with a North Face jacket, Timberland boots and an unwelcoming expression.
- ‘You are uninvited Sash, get out now,’ I said warningly, striding over to where he sat and looking down on him with the most unwelcoming expression I could muster.
- What had promised to be a cozy stop for the night proved to be a wide, barren space with a few buildings forming a ring around the well and only a few unwelcoming people to populate it.
Definition of unwelcoming in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.