noun[treated as singular or plural]
The social group that has the highest status in society, especially the aristocracy.
- The society is made up of the wealthy upper class, the middle class, and the working or lower class.
- Libertarians, of course, are primarily from the middle to upper classes of society.
- The problem is that the upper classes in this society over-consume more than anybody else.
Relating to the group that has the highest status in society: upper-class accents
More example sentences
- He asked himself, loudly, in a relatively upper-class accent.
- He uses an upper-class accent and claims to come from a wealthy family.
- Born into an upper-class family with a feudal culture, Zohra frequently noticed unfair treatment around her.
aristocratic, noble, of noble birth, patrician, titled, blue-blooded, high-born, well born, elite, born with a silver spoon in one's mouth;
archaic gentle, of gentle birth
Definition of upper class in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.