adverb & adjective
- Toward or situated at a point nearer the source of a river: [as adverb]: the salmon head upriver to spawn [as adjective]: they headed for the upriver sideMore example sentences
- As the wind tried to blow us away, we struggled upriver towards a lone hawthorn bush where the river made a right hand sweep, it was an area where I had caught decent chub in the past.
- It is not known in detail to what extent grayling move around in a river system, though some believe that they follow salmon upriver during spawning to feed on their eggs.
- In the 18th century, Dublin Bay was considered a dangerous place for ships trying to enter the river Liffey and move upriver to the city centre.
More definitions of upriverDefinition of upriver in:
- The British & World English dictionary