Definition of upshift in English:
1Change to a higher gear in a motor vehicle.
- Accelerating out of each curve, upshifting toward the next, the Saab's perfectly precise steering, athletically taut suspension and linear, progressive brakes add to enjoyment of the road.
- She hit the first small straight and accelerated hard, upshifting, then braking to send her car sailing through a set of hairpin turns.
- Kim spun her car around quickly and punched the gas, accelerating hard as she upshifted, turning the wheel onto Mountaindale Road, watching as Belial shifted uncomfortably in the racing seat.
nounBack to top
A change to a higher gear.
- You'll notice its stiffness most under radical upshifts (more than three gears at time).
- It's much easier to start in 1st gear and upshift through the gears as the bike accelerates.
- It changes down beautifully, but upshifts are either slow or jerky or full of clutch-slip.
Definition of upshift in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.