Definition of upsilon in English:
1The twentieth letter of the Greek alphabet (Υ, υ), transliterated in the traditional Latin style as ‘y’ (as in cycle) or in the modern style as ‘u’ (as in the etymologies of this dictionary).
- Typesetters typically confuse Greek letters in setting Greek quotations: nu with upsilon, theta with phi.
- Look lower down the alphabet - theta perhaps, or even upsilon.
1.1 (Upsilon) [followed by Latin genitive] Astronomy The twentieth star in a constellation: Upsilon Scorpii
More example sentences
- The system they focused on, three huge Jupiter-like planets orbiting the central star Upsilon Andromedae, was the first extrasolar multi-planet system ever discovered by Doppler spectroscopy.
- The discovery comes only seven months after the first multi-planet system outside our own, around the star Upsilon Andromedae, was identified.
- For example, Upsilon Andromedae is now known to possess a system of three large planets.
1.2 (also upsilon particle) Physics A meson thought to contain a b quark bound to its antiparticle, produced in particle accelerators.
- Use of the tracking information told the energies and momenta of the muons - which could then be traced back to find the new upsilon particle and its mass.
- Similarly, the bottom quark was inferred from the discovery of the upsilon particle by Leon Lederman in 1977 at Fermilab.
- Some colleagues were surprised that he had not won a Nobel earlier, perhaps for the discovery in 1977 of the upsilon particle, the most massive nuclear particle yet found.
Words that rhyme with upsilonpylon
Definition of upsilon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia