Definition of upstream in English:
1Moving or situated in the opposite direction from that in which a stream or river flows; nearer to the source: [as adverb]: a salmon swimming upstream [as adjective]: the upstream stretch of the Platte
More example sentences
- In the August sunshine the salmon battle their way upstream against the fast flowing creek.
- Lava flowing into waterways could create a hazard in the rivers upstream and enough ash would be carried by the wind to endanger aircraft and communities in the wind's direction.
- When the medieval bridge was replaced with New London Bridge in 1831, the river could flow freely further upstream.
1.1 Biology Situated in or toward the part of a sequence of genetic material where transcription takes place earlier than at a given point.
- In our case, the reference set was the upstream sequences of all the Arabidopsis genes.
- The sequences upstream and downstream of the R-genes were examined to determine if clustering of genes could be detected.
- Additional upstream sequences were needed to map the recombination breakpoints more precisely.
1.2At a stage in the process of gas or oil extraction and production before the raw material is ready for refining.
- He has also worked in communications, health, safety and environment at Shell, and spent much of his earlier career in upstream oil and gas production.
- Heavey said that Tullow, as an upstream producer, will benefit in the short term if oil prices take longer to fall back to $22 a barrel.
- The company's annual output also now establishes it as Canada's second-largest upstream producer.
Words that rhyme with upstreamabeam, agleam, beam, blaspheme, bream, deem, deme, downstream, dream, esteem, extreme, gleam, hakim, kilim, meme, midstream, Nîmes, régime, scheme, scream, seam, seem, steam, stream, supreme, team, teem, theme
Definition of upstream in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.