Moving to a higher social class; acquiring wealth and status.
- Judging from the polls, they are even starting to attract upwardly mobile Hispanics who regularly attend church.
- The film is set in an upwardly mobile neighborhood in suburban Massachusetts.
- Every hurt, angry, upwardly mobile divorcing person is vulnerable to such fantasies.
- Example sentences
- Building on the living wage model, he can focus municipal subsidies on industries and firms that provide decent pay, benefits and upward mobility.
- Such mothers are unlikely to ‘shape their children's character and ability’ in ways that lead to upward mobility.
- Alm and Cox argue that education is a key to the ‘readily’ available upward mobility in the US.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: up·ward·ly mo·bile
Definition of upwardly mobile in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.