Definition of upwardly mobile in English:
Moving to a higher social class; acquiring wealth and status.
- Judging from the polls, they are even starting to attract upwardly mobile Hispanics who regularly attend church.
- The film is set in an upwardly mobile neighborhood in suburban Massachusetts.
- Every hurt, angry, upwardly mobile divorcing person is vulnerable to such fantasies.
upward mobility noun
- Example sentences
- Building on the living wage model, he can focus municipal subsidies on industries and firms that provide decent pay, benefits and upward mobility.
- Such mothers are unlikely to ‘shape their children's character and ability’ in ways that lead to upward mobility.
- Alm and Cox argue that education is a key to the ‘readily’ available upward mobility in the US.
Definition of upwardly mobile in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan