Definition of Urartian in English:
Of or relating to the ancient kingdom of Urartu in eastern Anatolia (circa 1500–585 bc).
- The skill of Urartian craftspeople is manifest in Van museum exhibits: terracotta figures, ornate bronze belts and some very covetable gold jewellery.
- The city has existed for at least 5,000 years and saw successive periods of Urartian, Assyrian and Persian rule before succumbing to Alexander the Great.
nounBack to top
1A native or inhabitant of ancient Urartu.
- She rightly concludes, ‘despite their geographical position and their entanglement with Assyrians, Urartians, Persians, Arabs, and Turks, both ancient and early medieval Armenians have a European significance.’
- The earliest Armenian history was related to the Hittites and the Urartians as well as with the peoples of Mesopotamia.
- This impression is created by simply tacking the history of the Urartians onto that of the Haik.
Definition of Urartian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.